Thursday, February 19, 2009

Giving Back

I spend a lot of money on myself. Yes I work hard and yes, sometimes I even deserve it. But there are times when giving to others just seems so much sweeter.

I was lucky enough to be involved in an event called THON when I was attending Penn State. To me, there was nothing more amazing than Thon. Thon is the world's largest student run philanthropy event. It's a 46 hour dance marathon to raise money for children with cancer. The dancers aren't allowed to sit or sleep for those 46 hours. To be a witness to that, it's truly amazing. Last year the Penn State and Thon community raised over $6 million!!

Why am I telling you this? Doing good for others doesn't help just them, it helps us too. Looking around I realize how lucky I am and I should be helping others out who aren't as lucky. If this means forking over some cash or some time, I think we should all indulge this weekend.

Thon is this weekend and I'm s0o sad not to be going. If you want to see something truly amazing, visit the site over the weekend to watch some live feed.
So donate, it doesn't have to be to Thon (ok, but you should lol) just donate anything you have to give, money, time, old clothes, old books, whatever. Trust me, you will feel tons better.

2 comments:

ashleylynnmills said...

Very touching. Maybe it's only because I've been there, but your post about Thon brings tears to my eyes. Where can I go to donate?

miss you!

♥ Kendall ♥ said...

Your such a good person. I need to "pay it forward" more. I donate my clothes a few times a year sometimes with the tags still on them....
I do plan on donating a ton-load of yarn to the knitting circle at Jamaica Hospital. The ladies there volunteer their time to knit and crochet blankets for patients. All the yarn is donated their isn't a budget from the hospital some of the ladies pay for the yarn themselves. Yarn is cheap but when you have a lot of ladies knitting I'm sure that they go through it quickly. They made my Mommy Cat (my grandmother) a beautiful little blanket. She never got to see it though :(.. When we moved her from the Hospital to the Hospice we took it with us. My mom cuddles with it. We are going to save it for when I have a baby. So my baby will have a nice blanky from it's Mommy Cat.
XoXo

FTC Disclosure

All products are purchased by me unless noted otherwise. If a product is supplied for review, this does not affect my opinion. My opinions can not be bought.
© Fabulously Thrifty. Powered by