Monday, March 30, 2009

New Apartment/New House/New Dorm-Where to Save and where to Splurge

In these crappy, crappy times more and more people are staying at home longer (like me, froooowwwnn). However, it's really a great opportunity for us to save for a down payment, a couple months rent, furniture and whatever else. Even though I don't have a definitive move out day (it depends on the boys job) I'm going to begin to follow in my best friends' footsteps. My bff Anthony also doesn't have a definitive move out date, but let me tell you he could move out tomorow and have everything he needs! This made me think of the idea, buying as we go. If I have some extra cash, and some storage room, why not pick up something that I will only have to spend money on tomorrow.

When it comes to furniture, home furnishings and necessities there is always room for saving and of course the need for splurging.

Where to splurge:

Matresses and Box Springs-Any one who has lived in a dorm or college apartment knows how crappy it can be to sleep on a bad mattress or box spring. We spend way too much time in bed to buy a cheap mattress and box spring. I don't know about you, but if I sleep on a mattress that isn't right for me, my back hurts all day and therefore puts me in a totally crappy mood!!

Couch-A couch is similar to a mattress. If you spend a lot of time in your living room, or if you don't have a guest room, a good couch is important. It can become the focal point of your living space. Couches don't need to cost as much as a good mattress and box spring, they just need to be comfy for you. If you get bored of the look, that's what slip covers are for!

Bedding- A great down comforter can keep you toasty in the winter and cool in the summer. A great pair of sheets can make your bed inviting to you and others! Again, where you sleep is so important. Buying higher quality sheets will assure they last longer and wash well.

Pots and pans- There are so many cheap pots and pans sets out there. I bought quite a few of 'em for college. However, if you plan on cooking ever, getting a good quality set of pots and pans will make your cooking experience that much better. Stainless steel sets are a good option, becuase they heat up quickly and evenly. Some cheapo pots and pans sets are a good deal, however, you will need to replace them. A good set of pots and pans will last a lifetime.

Rugs/Carpeting- I know there are some people who say rugs is an area that can be saved on. I'm not one of those people. I'm not saying go out and buy an expensive persian, but do spend some amount of time judging the quality of the piece. I had some cheap-o rugs in college and every tiny crumb and hair would stick to them permenantly! No vacuum was able to get those suckers out and it was gross!

Entertainmet centers-This is another area where a lot of people would say save your money. But think about..you spend A LOT of money on those tvs, blu-ray players, etc. I want to make sure they are solid and safe. My mom spent not a lot on her entertainment center and the tv (a flat screen, so not as heavy) is all ready starting to make some of the wood buckle. This is dangerous for you and your pricey electronics.



Where to save:

Coffee tables/end tables: There are TONS of coffee tables you can find at Target, Walmart,Ikea, etc. Most of the time they end up getting covered in coasters and magazines anyway!

Dressers: You can find a lot of decent dressers at fab prices at Ikea, Target or even an unfinished wood store. Dressers are something that usually take a lot of beating. Before you buy a cheap-o one, test out the drawers and the handles.

Small kitchen appliances: Toasters, coffee makers, foremans..These are constantly on sale and unless you are a gourmet coffee drinker, you need super expensive ones!

Art work: Art work can be found at an array of amazing prices or can even be made by you! Check out college art fairs, art.com, ebay and yard sales for some amazing finds for your walls.

1 comment:

♥ Kendall ♥ said...

Those are great tips! Although at the rate I'm going I'm going to live at home until I'm 47! It's cook, the parents have good stuff!
XoXo

FTC Disclosure

All products are purchased by me unless noted otherwise. If a product is supplied for review, this does not affect my opinion. My opinions can not be bought.
© Fabulously Thrifty. Powered by