Friday, August 15, 2014

Fitness Friday: Deceptively Delicious Cookbook Review

   Another book review this week? Yes, that is correct!  I was looking through my cookbook collection and realized I had never done a review on one of my favorite healthy cookbooks, Deceptively Delicious.


 
   Deceptively Delicious is a cookbook full of standard comfort food recipes with an added fruit or vegetable to make them more nutritious.  It's marketed for moms who have kids who aren't a fan of fruits or veggies, but I thought it was a great idea and had to buy it for myself.  I am also a fan of great photography and graphic design in cookbooks and this has that too!

    If you've ever tried one of the popular Pinterest recipes of mashed cauliflower (mashed potatoes dupe) or cauliflower rice than this cookbook is for you.  It is full of classic recipes (ranging from french toast, to brownies, to spaghetti and meatballs) with added fruits or vegetables to bulk up the nutritional value, but not change the taste!

   At the beginning of the book there is a chapter on kitchen and pantry necessities which is quite helpful.  It also has information on how to prepare and puree the fruits and vegetables for the recipes and even how to freeze them so you can prepare them ahead of time.

  The recipes are very easy and don't contain hard to find ingredients.  Some recipes even have several variations in case you or your child is allergic to a particular ingredient.  I would definitely recommend this book to people who have a difficult time getting in enough fruits and vegetables to their diet or who have kids or even relatives who are finicky eaters!

Here are a few of my favorite recipes from the book!




Have you ever snuck a fruit or veggie into a recipe when it wasn't called for?  Would you give this cookbook a try?

1 comment:

Tammy W. said...

I read this book a few years ago and it had really great ideas. I need to pick it up again. I love using pumpkin puree in place of milk, eggs, and oil in most chocolate cake/brownie recipes.

FTC Disclosure

All products are purchased by me unless noted otherwise. If a product is supplied for review, this does not affect my opinion. My opinions can not be bought.
© Fabulously Thrifty. Powered by