Friday, March 23, 2012

How to: Heatless Curls Part 4- Sock Curls

So my quest to test out as many heatless curling techniques as possible continues. So far I've had some success with the french twist technique, no success with the sock bun method and great success with the headband method. Will sock curls be a hit or miss for me?

Reminder: My hair is about to my collarbone, with some natural wave and is pretty thick.



I used this video for this technique. I've heard of using socks as rollers before, but I'm really glad I watched this video because Yaya only used three socks for her entire head. I would have done a lot more and probably would have looked like a poodle!

Can you tell I have a thing for argyle?

Results



LOOOOOOVE! This gave me full, voluminous waves. Kind of like if I set my hair with hot rollers. These babies held pretty well too, but started to frizz up quite badly. I think that had more to do with the weather though and my lack of product. I will definitely be using this technique again.

O, does anyone have a recommendation as to what styling product is best to use with these heat free techniques? I've been using a curling mousse on my damp hair and then a hairspray afterwards, but I'm not happy with the hold or the feel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

1 comment:

Melissa Cousins said...

Lovely! Next you should try rag curls. Similar idea, but with small pieces of clothe and plenty of very tight little curls. Very fun and can easily be styled to be very cute. As for product, unless your hair doesn't keep curls well, I'd suggest avoiding most hairsprays. Too many chemicals. Conditioning and smoothing products are good for your hair and helps make the curls less frizzy. I usually use a spray in conditioner and/or a serum. Right now I'm using L'Oreal EverCreme Nourishing Leave-In Spray. I found it on sale so decided to give it a try. It smells great, and leaves my hair feeling very soft. As for serum, currently using nourishing conconut milk serum by Organix. It is amazing. Anything with coconut milk usually ends up working great, and also got it on sale. I usually use it when I'm done my hair, to smooth down friz and add a soft glean to my hair. Also smells heavenly. Anyways, good luck with any future heat-free curl endeavors!

FTC Disclosure

All products are purchased by me unless noted otherwise. If a product is supplied for review, this does not affect my opinion. My opinions can not be bought.
© Fabulously Thrifty. Powered by