Monday, April 20, 2015

Co-Op Chronicles: Ladybug Repellent

      So I've changed the name of my little housewarming series of posts to Co-op Chronicles, simply because I like the name better.

   This post is about an incredibly boring topic: insect repellent.  When I moved in to my place I realized there seemed to be quite a collection of ladybugs on my living room and bedroom windows.  Ladybugs are not necessarily a pest or something for me to be scared of, but I hate bugs, any bugs so these ladybugs had to go.



  I started googling natural ways to repel ladybugs and came across Camphor Oil.  Camphor oil has a multitude of uses and benefits including:
-facilitating digestion and blood circulation
-relieving spasms/cramps
-curing gas trouble
-relieving congestion
-disinfectant
-germicide
-insecticide
-reduces nervous disorders
-boosts libido
-cures erectile dysfunction
……and repels ladybugs!

I saw several different ways to use Camphor Oil to get rid of ladybugs and I decided to soak a few cotton pads with about 20-25 drops of oil and stick them in the corners of my window frames.  I wore gloves to do this, just in case.  I'm just beginning to learn about essential oils and I'm not sure which need to be used with carrier oils or are dangerous to to the touch or whatever.

I have 4 windows where I have spotted a ladybug or 2, and to test this out I put the cotton pads in 3 of my 4 windows.  I knew this weekend would be a great weekend to test this out, as it was going to be very warm, and the warmth attracts ladybugs.

Since I have put my 2 Camphor Oil pads in each window, I have not seen a single ladybug.  In the window where I didn't put the pads, I saw 3 this weekend.  So far, this has been a great success.

Camphor oil is pretty cheap ($3-$6) for a hefty sized jar, so if you have a ladybug problem (or according to my research other pests as well) give Camphor Oil a try.

This oil has completely peaked my interest in essential oils.  I ended up ordering an introductory type kit from Young Living as my friend is always talking about all the different way she uses her oils.  I can't wait to get my kit and try them all out.

No comments:

FTC Disclosure

All products are purchased by me unless noted otherwise. If a product is supplied for review, this does not affect my opinion. My opinions can not be bought.
© Fabulously Thrifty. Powered by