Friday, November 28, 2014

Fitness Friday: How to Not Go TOO Crazy Over the Holidays

   The holiday season is officially upon us!  I hope everyone had a beautiful and delicious Thanksgiving Day.

   As someone who has zero willpower, I know how easy it can be to overindulge over the holiday season.  I myself am usually the first to overindulge.  However, a big birthday is looming right after Christmas as well as a hot little dress I have my eye on, so this season will not be an overindulgent one for me.

Here are some tips and tricks that I'm going to make myself follow this holiday season:

*Don't starve yourself prior to an event

I used to subscribe to the idea that if I starve myself before a big event than I would be able to enjoy myself at the event.  Well, this plan usually backfires as I'm SO famished that I end up over doing it.  If you are going to an event where you know you will be eating a lot or drinking a lot, make sure you have a well balanced breakfast or lunch and to include some protein and lots of water.

*Have one "good thing" for every one "bad thing"

Finger foods are my absolute weakness.  At a party I usually skip the veggie platter and go right for the cheeses and fun stuff.  No more of that.  For every finger food I take, I'm stocking up on a veggie.  This way even if I'm eating a lot of crap, I can still know that I got a good dose of vitamins and minerals.

*Try a little bit of everything, instead of a lot of one thing

I can sit and have a meal of pasta anytime I want, but this is the time to try a little bit of everything that a party has to offer.  Trying a little bit of everything turns into a meal and you won't be overindulging on one fatty meal.

*Drink a large glass of water for every alcoholic drink

I'm queen of the hangover, which is not a title that I want to have.  If I have more than one drink I am almost guaranteed at least a headache the next day.  If I really go for it, I wake up the next day sick as a dog and with a raging fever.  Do I think a drink of water between boozy drinks will keep my hangover at bay? No, but it may help!



*Know when to say no

While my taste buds have matured quite a bit over the last few years, I am still incredibly picky.  If there's something I know I don't like or have no interest in trying, I am just going to politely say no.

*Throw in some active dates

It's the season to get together with friends and loved ones, but who says these get togethers have to involve dinner and drinks?  Why not get together and try a fitness class?  Or walk around the mall and get some steps and shopping in?  Even getting together and wrapping gifts or going for a wintery walk is better and healthier than the typical drinks and dinner.

*Don't forget your exercise routine

Things may be a bit more active for you this time of year, but it's not the time to forget about your exercise routine.  Everyone can squeeze in a minimum of 20 minutes of physical activity a day.  If you find yourself too swamped in the evening, make time for it by waking up a bit earlier.  I know it's a pain in the ass, but it will help you in the long run.

*Try some healthy swaps

I know it's definitely the time for baking, so check out some of these healthier substitutions to use in your baking.  It won't make your cookies healthy, but any little difference in something you are going to eat anyway can definitely help.



Here are just SOME of the healthy holiday tips that I will be forcing myself to follow this year.

Do you have any tips or tricks on how to avoid the dreaded holiday weight gain? 
Please comment below!
 ***

No comments:

FTC Disclosure

All products are purchased by me unless noted otherwise. If a product is supplied for review, this does not affect my opinion. My opinions can not be bought.
© Fabulously Thrifty. Powered by